Fun day at Mississippi State, huh? The football team finished two-a-days, the soccer club is two days away from kicking off MSU’s athletic calendar, with volleyball following up shortly after.
And, oh yeah, Athletic Director Scott Stricklin announced a $75 million plan to expand Davis Wade Stadium, with construction starting immediately.
If you missed any of it, we’ve got you covered with renderings of it all, a virtual tour and the replay of the press conference.
A few notes before all of that.
- As I said, the cost of the expansion is approximately $75 million.
- MSU will add 8,815 seats, though the net increase in capacity will be 6,255, going from 55,082 to 61,337.
- The bowled-in north endzone will be home to 22 suites of varying sizes, several of them built for smaller parties.
- MSU is introducing The Gridiron, a field-level suite with an outdoor terrace and indoor area with concessions and television, open to purchase by all ticket holders.
- The bleachers currently in the endzone, where students and the Famous Maroon Band sit, will remain in place for the 2012 season.
- Student ticket allotment will remain steady at 11,000.
- The west side concourse is being completely gutted out and re-done.
- Over 300 restroom fixtures will be added, as well as 46 new permanent concessions.
- Davis Wade is more than doubling its elevator capacity, increasing from 5 to 12 across the stadium.
- Harrell Contracting Group is doing the construction.
You can check out the full gallery of photos here at the Bulldog Club website.
And you can see the full video of this morning’s press conference here at HailState.com. (Listen for the part where Stricklin says my name. I felt special.)
The most fun part might be this video below, the tour/announcement of the expansion.