Mississippi State Director of Athletics Scott Stricklin assured Bulldog fans last week they would have seven home football games to look forward to in 2013 after the school announced a neutral-site match-up with Oklahoma State in Houston to open the season.
The details of that assurance came today, as MSU announced it will play Alcorn State at Davis Wade Stadium on September 7th of 2013, moved from the season-opening spot the game previously occupied.
Dan Mullen’s team has made it a point of emphasis to play schools from within the Magnolia State as a way to support fellow Mississippians, a message this game enhances.
“It remains important to us to schedule teams from the state of Mississippi,” Stricklin said. “We’ve played Jackson State and Alcorn State and have Southern Miss on the schedule in coming years. We feel it benefits Mississippi State University, as well as our opponents and the state of Mississippi.”
With the announcement, MSU’s full non-conference schedule for 2013 is set, as follows:
- Oklahoma State in the Texas Kick Off Classic in Houston on August 31st
- Alcorn State at home on September 7th
- Troy at home on September 21
- Bowling Green at home on October 12th
There are plenty more items of interest from around MSU today, and as tease, there are more coming soon. Hint: they involve Johnthan Banks.
- Junior quarterback Tyler Russell was named to the Manning Award Watch List, the Allstate Sugar Bowl announced today. In the award’s ninth year, Russell is the first player in school history to make the prestigious watch list.
- Senior tight end Marcus Green was named to the John Mackey Award Watch List on Monday, an honor bestowed annually on the nation’s top tight end.
- Banks was named a mid-season All American by ESPN, and both he and junior running back LaDarius Perkins were named to ESPN’s Top-25 SEC players list.
Also, if you missed it last night, make sure to check out post-practice interviews with several MSU players, including Russell, Green and sophomore tight end Malcolm Johnson.
Make sure you check back here soon, as we’ll be visiting with junior guard Jalen Steele shortly with the basketball season, plus we’ll be releasing something fun pretty soon here on the HailState Beat.